7.24.2014

"Ich bin ein Berliner!" Part I


me and my sleeping baby boy last on our trip to Croatia

At one point in my life I lived in Germany, many, many moons ago! I spent my wildest teenage years in the famous Nuremberg roaming the streets with friends, smoking cigarettes, wearing Docs and listening to Nirvana, ahhhh the 90's.  I left Germany in 2008 and was devastated to leave my friends behind, it was really tough for me and I was not quite sure if or when we'll ever go go back to visit.

Fast forward many years, and I'm now married to this handsome guy who's parents still live in Germany, BERLIN to be exact! This year we're going to take the kids for a two and a half week trip to spend sometime with their grandparents. I visited Berlin while we were still dating and after we got married as well and I fell in love. This time is slightly different, because of the kids we'll have to plan our days if we want to see everything we plan to see. Amer's parents are excited to give us some alone time too, so I'm really excited to make a list of places to see without kids.

We're leaving in a few days and I've been making list, packing lists, places-to-see lists, running maps(!!!), and to-do-at-home-before-we-leave lists. Anyways, did I mention how EXCITED I am!!!! I miss Germany so much, the clean cities, the always on time U-Bahn and the Turkish street food!!! SO much goodness!

I will document the process of a minimal and simple travel plan, packing list and travel itinerary. I believe that travel should be easy, no one needs a million pieces of clothing and cosmetics, we do it for convenience but in reality it's a burden. We love to travel light, so I've been thinking and came up with this : two pieces of luggage we'll check in and one small carry on. We may bring the stroller or the Ergo but that's not decided yet. I will buy most of the bulkier stuff there such as diapers and shampoos and since my in-laws have a washing machine in their apartment I plan to bring a minimal amount of clothing.

I do plan to share my travel experience here and hopefully help some parents who want to travel but find that the idea of traveling with small children is too daunting to even try. I promise it's not hard at all it may take some planning but once you've figured it out and you have the right mindset ( most important step ) then the journey can begin!

BERLIN here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment