4.25.2014

simplifying cleaning


I used to be the one who had a product for each cleaning need, all-purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, shower cleaners, you name it I owned it. What can I say, I loved the smell of a clean home. When I got pregnant with Hamza and we moved into our new home, things started to change. I thought about the impact my chemicals had on the future of my child but also on the environment. In the last few years I did a lot of research and slowly started eliminating all harmful chemicals out of our home. Now I basically only use a handful of things that I believe are much better for the environment.                  
Dr. Bronner's Soap for EVERYTHING: shower wash, hand soap, dish soap, removal of greasy stains from shirts you name it and I probably have used it for that (except toothpaste, some people say it can be used as toothpaste, no thank you). It smells and cleans great without harsh chemicals. 
I also love supporting local companies and Seventh Generation is just down the road from us. I love their products and I truly believe that they are trying to make a difference. 
Method is one I just started using, I am still testing it but I do like the fragrance of this particular all purpose cleaner in french lavender and they claim to be non-toxic and biodegradable as well.  
Last but probably the most important piece of my cleaning routine is my cleaning tools, haha I LOVE my tools! I use cotton or linen rags and I buy most of them at the local goodwill store, they absorb well and don't leave fuzz on glass or mirrors. I can just throw them in the wash at the end of the week voila ready to clean again!  
I believe that a clean house can smell good and be clean without the use of harsh chemicals or a million plastic bottles. My goal is to reduce this to a minimum and maybe add some reusable bottles so I can start buying soaps and detergents in the bulk section of our local co-op. 


No comments:

Post a Comment